Attendees: Bill Blass (chair), Gayle Baker (Co-Vice-Chair), Doug Birdwell (Co-Vice-Chair) Andy Kramer (Co-Vice-Chair), Chris Cox, Zoe Hoyle, Bruce Tonn, Marion Hansen, Ted Labotka, David Fox, Jim Moran, Elizabeth Sutherland.
- Introductory Remarks: Research Council Chair Bill Blass spoke of the many happenings that had occurred over the summer: change in leadership in the Office of Research, the recent Research Forum, the call for proposals for new Centers of Excellence. Administrators will be asked to update the Council at the next meeting.
- Committee Overview: The Council reviewed the charges of the standing committees and ad hoc panels. The Chancellor’s Research Award is now called the Provost’s Research Award. Members present submitted their choices for committee assignments.
- Annual Report: Zoe Hoyle stated that the annual report on research will have some changes. It will include statistics for the Memphis campus and the Space Center and will only be available online. It will also have links to the new web-based sponsored programs system, which should be available soon.
- Discussion Items:
- Senate Charge: The charge was discussed. The Policies & Procedures Committee will continue to work with the Faculty Senate Faculty Development Committee on a sabbatical policy. The Research Infrastructure Committee will inquire about the continuation of the faculty workstation refresh program and the new IRIS financial system and any associated changes in contracts & grants accounting procedures. The Council will discuss issues on faculty titles, explore possible collaboration with comparable bodies at Memphis and the Space Institute, and continue the collaboration and support of the Office of Research.
- Faculty Titles: The draft documents from the Task Force on Faculty Titles was discussed. Bill Blass will formulate a response for Faculty Senate.
- Questions for the Administration: Members were encouraged to send questions for administrators for the October meeting to Gayle Baker.
Meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.